CC BY-SA 4.0
Thakurgaon, a city of northern Bangladesh and the district headquarter of Thakurgaon district is situated in Rangpur Division, Bangladesh. It is the main business centre in this region. It is located 406.1 km away from the capital city Dhaka. It is beside the Tangan River and is well con-nected with road, water, and railways. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared Pourashava in 1958. Thakurgaon is one of the 53 district-level municipalities in the country.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Thakurgaon population was 80,589. The present population growth rate in Thakurgaon is 1.5% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2021) population is estimated to be around 101,359.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty-eight percent (28%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy-two (72%) percent is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treat-ment (2%), Faecal Sludge (FS) - emptied but not delivered to treatment (68%), FS not contained - not emptied (1%) and 1% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (28%).
- Prepared by: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
- Date of production: 10/01/2022
- Last update: 14/06/2022