Patan Municipality - Nepal

Reviewed SFD

Patan is in the far west of Nepal in the Baitadi District of Sudurpaschim Province. It is divided into 10 wards and has a population of 30,435 (as of 2011).

The SFD Lite report highlights that 99% of the population use onsite sanitation – 1% reportedly practise open defecation. The SFD graphic shows that 36% of excreta is considered safely managed and the remaining 64% is unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta are faecal sludge not emptied from unsafe systems (46%), and faecal sludge not delivered to treatment (17%). There is no faecal sludge treatment facility with the only safely managed excreta from the 36% of the population using onsite pits and tanks which have not yet been emptied. However, this is not a long-term solution and clearly highlights that improved sanitation management is required along the whole sanitation chain. 

  • Prepared by: ENPHO
  • Date of production: 09/01/2023
  • Last update: 18/01/2023