1. What is an SFD?
2. Why is a report needed?
3. What does an SFD Graphic tell us?
4. What do the terms mean at the bottom of the SFD Graphic e.g. local area, neighbourhood, city?
5. How can I deal with a regional variation in sanitation-related technical terms and definitions?
6. Does the SFD Graphic only represent the flow of excreta from households?
7. Is the SFD process only for waste from onsite sanitation systems (faecal sludge)?
8. Why does the SFD Graphic not represent volumes of excreta?
9. Does the SFD Graphic show absolute risk in terms of public health?
10. Can I use an SFD Graphic to model the flow of solid waste across a city or town?
11. Are similar tools available?
12. Can I look at any current SFD Graphics and Reports?
13. What papers can I read to find out about the history of the SFD?
14. How do I start?
15. Earlier SFD Reports are labelled desk-based or field-based studies. What does that mean?
16. What are the different Levels of SFD Report?
17. Can I make an SFD Report without the involvement of stakeholders?
18. How much time will it take to complete an SFD Report?
19. Where can I get the data to prepare an SFD Report?
20. What if there is limited information for my town or city?
21. How do I work out what proportion of the wastewater or faecal sludge is being treated?
22. How can I use the SFD graphic and the SFD Report?
23. How do I incorporate the transient and non-resident populations?
24. How do I estimate the risk of groundwater pollution?
25. How do I incorporate twin-pit latrines, composting toilets, dehydration vaults, container-based toilets and aqua-privy toilets on the SFD GG?
26. What value should I put into the three boxes at the start of Step Two of the SFD Graphic Generator (which asks “What proportion of the contents of each type of on-site container are faecal sludge?”)?
27. How do I change flows or volumes into proportions of the population?
28. How do I calculate the proportion of each system from which faecal sludge is emptied?
29. Why are centralised and decentralised sewer systems specified separately?
30. The final percentages on the draft SFD Graphic for my city do not add up to 100%. Is this a rounding error?
31. Can I edit the SFD Graphic before saving?
32. On the SFD GG, what happens when clicking “Celebrate zero open defecation”?
33. On the SFD GG, how can I clear data and start a new SFD for the same city?
34. On the SFD GG, how can I clear data and start a fresh SFD for a new city?
Live Q&A, training events, reports, publications... - Check out the latest developments of the SFD Promotion Initiative on the SuSanA Forum
Check out how the city of Patna, located at the Southern banks of river Ganga, manages its sanitation!
Read its new SFD Report!
Find out more on the sanitation practices in Tikapur:
98% on-site sanitation technologies (pit latrines, septic tanks, biogas digesters)
2% open defecation
Any questions about SFDs? Watch our recent Q&A session about SFDs
1. Presentation: The SFD Manual - a guide to content and process
2. Presentation: The SFD Review Procedure
3. Presentation: The SFD Helpdesk
Watch the presentation with voice on SFDs in Africa and Indonesia
1. SFDs in Africa: From Visualization to Action
2. How the Government of Indonesia is using the SFD