1. What is an SFD?
2. Why is a report needed?
3. What does an SFD Graphic tell us?
4. What do the terms mean at the bottom of the SFD Graphic e.g. local area, neighbourhood, city?
5. How can I deal with a regional variation in sanitation-related technical terms and definitions?
6. Does the SFD Graphic only represent the flow of excreta from households?
7. Is the SFD process only for waste from onsite sanitation systems (faecal sludge)?
8. Why does the SFD Graphic not represent volumes of excreta?
9. Does the SFD Graphic show absolute risk in terms of public health?
10. Can I use an SFD Graphic to model the flow of solid waste across a city or town?
11. Are similar tools available?
12. Can I look at any examples of SFD Graphics and Reports?
13. What papers can I read to find out about the history of the SFD?
14. How do I start?
15. Should I do desk-based or field-based study?
16. Can I make an SFD Report without the involvement of stakeholders?
17. How much time will it take to complete an SFD Report?
18. Where can I get the data to prepare an SFD Report?
19. What if there is limited information for my town or city?
20. How do I work out what proportion of the wastewater or faecal sludge is being treated?
21. How can I use the SFD graphic and the SFD Report?
22. How do I incorporate the transient and non-resident population?
23. How do I estimate the risk of groundwater pollution?
24. How do I incorporate twin-pit latrines, composting toilets, dehydration vaults, container-based toilets and aqua-privy toilets on the SFD GG?
25. What value should I put into the three boxes at the start of Step Two of the SFD Graphic Generator (which asks “What proportion of the contents of each type of on-site container are faecal sludge?”)?
26. How do I change flows or volumes into proportions of the population?
27. How do I calculate the proportion of each system from which faecal sludge is emptied?
28. Why are centralised and decentralised sewer systems specified separately?
29. The final percentages on the draft SFD Graphic for my city do not add up to 100%. Is this a rounding error?
30. Can I edit the SFD Graphic before saving?
31. On the SFD GG, what happens when clicking “Celebrate zero open defecation”?
32. On the SFD GG, how can I clear data and start a new SFD for the same city?
33. On the SFD GG, how can I clear data and start a fresh SFD for a new city?
You can now download SFD offline Graphic Generators for Windows and Mac.
Check out the latest developments of SFD Promotion Initiative on the SuSanA Forum
Meet the SFD Promotion Initiative at the World Water Week 2017!
SFD Manual (version 2.0) along with offline Graphic Generator now available.
Check out the frequently asked questions on SFDs.