Published in: 2018
SFD Report - Ouahigouya, Burkina Faso
Ouahigouya is a mid-sized city located in the northern part of Burkina Faso and is the capital of the Province of Yatenga. Ouahigouya is approximately 180 km from Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. Ouahigouya district is composed of both urban and rural areas. The urban area is 108 km2 and is divided into 15 administrative areas. The rural area is composed of 37 villages. The total population is currently estimated to be 109,264 (INSD, 2017).
Ouahigouya does not have a centralised system for wastewater and excreta treatment. 93% of the population uses onsite sanitation systems and the remaining 7% practices open defecation. 99% of the excreta in Ouahigouya is unsafely managed.