Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2021
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
SFD Lite Report Kishoreganj Municipality Bangladesh
Kishoreganj is a city and the district headquarters of Kishoreganj District in the division of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Kishoreganj is a fast-growing city, which is 97.8 km away from North-East of Dhaka. It is beside the Narashunda River and is well connected with road, water, and railways. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared Municipality in 1869. Kishoreganj is one of the 53 district-level Municipality in the country.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Kishoreganj city population was 103,798. The urban population growth in Kishoreganj is 4.57% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2021) population is estimated to be around 142,453.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only nine percent (9%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining ninety-one (91%) percent is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (7%), Faecal Sludge (FS) emptied, not delivered to treatment (43%), FS not contained - not emptied (26%) and 15% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (9%).