Preview Image SFD

Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2022
Pages: 16
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE


SFD Lite Report Cumilla City Corporation (vn 2022), Bangladesh

Cumilla City Corporation stands on the south bank of the Gumti River in Cumilla district. Cumilla (previously known as Comilla) is one of the fast-growing cities located beside the Dhaka Chittagong highway, 97 km south to Dhaka and 167 km north to Chittagong. Cumilla, one of the oldest towns of the sub-continent was declared a city corporation in the year 1864. Cumilla City Corporation was formed on 10 July 2011, consisting of 27 wards. Cumilla is one of the 11 city corporations in the country.

According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Cumilla city population was 326,386. The urban population growth in Bangladesh is 3.5% per year. Considering a 3.5% growth rate annually and a 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2020) population is estimated to be around 490,000.

The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only fourteen percent (14%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining eighty-six (86%) percent is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (2%), Faecal Sludge (FS) emptied but not delivered to treatment (56%), FS not contained - not emptied (20%) and 8% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (14%).