Preview Image SFD

Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2022
Pages: 14
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE


SFD Lite Report - Nilphamari Municipality Bangladesh

Nilphamari, a city of northwestern Bangladesh and the district headquarter of Nilphamari district is situated in Rangpur Division, Bangladesh. It is located 337.5 km north-west of Dhaka. It is beside the Tista, little Jumuna, Jumuneshwari River and it is well connected with road, and railways. Nilphamari is historically and culturally a very important city in North Bengal. The city is the commer-cial hub for the surrounding districts. The Nilphamari Municipality was established in 1972. Nilphamari is one of the 53 district-level municipalites in the country.

According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Nil-phamari population was 45,386. The present population growth rate in Nilphamari is 2% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2020) population is estimated to be around 59,665.

The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty-three percent (23%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy-seven (77%) percent is classified as unsafe-ly managed (Figure 1). The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (8%), Faecal Sludge (FS) emptied but not delivered to treatment (64%), FS not contained - not emptied (5%) and 1% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta orig-inate from FS contained - not emptied (23%).