Preview Image SFD

Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2022
Pages: 13
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE


SFD Lite Report – Barguna, Bangladesh

Barguna is a fast-growing city, which is 319 km away from the Dhaka city. It is beside the Khakdon River and well connected with road and water. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared municipality in 1973. Barguna is one of the 53 district level municipality in the country.

According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Barguna municipality population was 32,235.

The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty four percent (24%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining eighty percent (76%) is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (4%), Faecal Sludge (FS) both contained and not contained - not delivered to treatment (49%), FS not contained - not emptied (20%) and 3% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. Thus, the safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (24%).