Preview Image SFD

Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2022
Pages: 13
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE


SFD Lite Report – Barishal, Bangladesh

Barishal is a fast-growing city, which is 235 km away from the Dhaka city. It is beside the Kirtankhola River and well connected with road and water. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent, established as Pourashava in 1869 and was declared City Corporation in 2002. Barishal is one of the 12 City Corporations in the country.

According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Barishal city population was 328,278.

The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty five percent (25%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy five percent (75%) is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (6%). Faecal Sludge (FS) both contained and not contained - not delivered to treatment (44%), FS not contained - not emptied (20%) and 7% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. Thus, the safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (25%).