Published in: 2022
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
SFD (Lite) Report - Gopalganj Municipality, Bangladesh
Gopalganj is a fast-growing city located along the Dhaka-Khulna highway and 209 km South of Dhaka. It is beside the Kaliganga River and it is well connected with road, water, and railways. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared a municipality in 1972. Gopalganj is one of the 53 district level municipality in the country.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Gopalganj municipality population was 51,346. The population growth in the municipality is 1.5% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2020) population is estimated to be around 64,579.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty six percent (26%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy four percent (74%) is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (1%), Faecal Sludge (FS) both contained and not contained - not delivered to treatment (61%), FS not contained - not emptied (11%) and 2% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. Thus, the safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (26%).
Bangladesh, SFD lite