Preview Image SFD

Author(s): CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
Published in: 2023
Pages: 2023
Publisher: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE


SFD (level 1) Report - Jhenaidah Municipality, Bangladesh

Jhenaidah is a fast-growing city, which is 174 km away from the Dhaka city. It is beside the Naboganga River and it is well connected with road and water. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared municipality in 1958. Jhenaidah is one of the 53 district level municipality in the country. According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Jhenaidah Municipality population was 107,834. The urban population growth in Jhenaidah is 2% per year. Considering 10% floating population, the present (2020) population is estimated to be around 141,759.

The city does not have a dedicated sewerage system and most sanitation systems available in the town are classified as onsite systems (99.5%). The main types of toilet facilities are septic tanks connected to a soak pit, to an open drain, to a water body or to open ground and lined tanks or lined pits, with no outlet or overflow.

The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty nine percent (29%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy one percent (71%) is classified as unsafely managed.