Nashik - India

Reviewed SFD

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.

Nashik is an ancient Indian city situated on the banks of river Godavari. Geographically, it is located in the northwest part of the state of Maharashtra in the Western Ghats with mean elevation of about 565 msl at 20.00° N and 73.78° E. Its historical value attracts lots of tourist throughout the year and results in the diurnal floating population of about 200,000. The current population of the city is 2,240,000 and total no. of households (HH) is 380,000 with population growth rate of 4.66 which is divided into 31 election wards. The current population plus floating population is used for preparation of SFD. The majority of the population in Nashik (58%) uses onsite sanitation systems and there is no open defecation. With 79%, most of the excreta in Nashik is safely manged, leaving 21% unsafely managed.

The first SFD Report was prepared by the SFD Promotion Initiative and the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in 2015. The second SFD Report, which is a SFD Lite Report, was prepared by the Centre for Science and Environment India in 2020. Both reports are available for download

  • Prepared by: CSE
  • Date of production: 20/11/2020
  • Last update: 13/02/2023