Sirsa - India

Reviewed SFD

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

The Sirsa city is a municipal council and the headquarter of Sirsa district in Haryana. It is located at mean elevation of about 205 msl at 29.53°N 75.02°E. It is about 260 km NW of New Delhi and 240 km from state capital of Chandigarh. The city covers an area of 26 km2. It is said to be one of the oldest places of North India and its ancient name was Sairishaka, which finds its mention in Mahabharata. As per census 2011, the population of the city was 182,534 and the number of households was 36,191, with an average annual growth rate of 2.3%. The current population of the city is 224,494 including 2% floating population and total no. of households (HH) is 42,705 (SBM, 2020 and KIIs with ULB & PHED). The municipal boundary and current population is used for preparation of SFD. The majority of the population in Sirsa (98%) uses offsite sanitation systems, leaving 2% of the population using onsite sanitation systems, and there is no practice of open defecation. 74 of the excreta in Sirsa is safely manged, leaving 26% to be managed unsafely. This SFD Light Report was prepared by the Centre for Science and Environment India in 2020.

 

  • Prepared by: CSE
  • Date of production: 23/11/2020
  • Last update: 23/11/2020