Haldia - India

Reviewed SFD

Copyright by Mandal.mou

Haldia is a city and municipality in Purba Medinipur district in the Indian State of West Bengal. The Haldia Township is bordered by Haldi River an off shoot of the Ganges River. Haldia is located at 22.03˚N 88.06˚E. The temperature ranges between 24˚C to 39˚C, during summer and 7˚C to 22˚C in winter. The city gets an average rainfall of 1440mm annually and monsoon months are between May to September. Depth of ground water in pre and post monsoon ranges between 3.05 to 16.34 meters below ground level (mbgl) and 2.71 – 11.63mbgl respectively (CGWB). Haldia city’s population for the year 2020 is estimated to be 262148 (Table No.1) and total no. of households (HH) is 55776 . Administrative boundary of the city is spread across 109 sq.km, divided into 29 wards (KII-1, 2020).

The majority of the population in Haldia (93%) uses onsite sanitation systems. 7% of the residents are practicing open defecation. Only 19% of the excreta in City is safely managed, leaving 81% unsafely managed. This SFD Light Report was prepared by the Centre for Science and Environment in 2020.

  • Prepared by: CSE
  • Date of production: 09/12/2020
  • Last update: 09/12/2020