Cuttack - India

Reviewed SFD

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

This report was compiled as part of the SFD Promotion Initiative project funded by Deutsche Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).

Cuttack is located at 20˚31'23” N and 85˚47'17” E. The city has a tropical wet and dry climate. Temperatures may exceed 45˚c in summer and may fall below 10˚C in winter. It gets most of its annual rainfall of 144 cm from July to October (CMC). Due to the proximity to the coast, Cuttack is prone to floods and cyclones from Bay of Bengal (National Policy On Disaster Management, 2009) . Major soil types of the city are Alfisol, Ultisol and Entisol. Depth of groundwater in pre and post monsoon ranges between 1.56-8.17 mbgl and 0.44-5.38 mbgl respectively (Central Ground Water Board, 2013) .

The 60% of the population in Cuttack uses onsite sanitation systems. 4% of the residents are practicing open defecation. Almost 41% of the excreta in Cuttack is safely managed, leaving 59% unsafely managed. This SFD Lite Report was prepared by CSE in 2020.

SFDs made by CSE in 2015 and in 2020. Both reports are available for download.

  • Prepared by: CSE
  • Date of production: 09/12/2020
  • Last update: 13/02/2023