Bijnor - India

Reviewed SFD

This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

Bijnor city is located 12 km west to the bank of River Ganga and 460 km from Lucknow, the state capital of Uttar Pradesh. Bijnor is the district headquarter of Bijnor district. As per Census 2011, Bijnor has a population of 93,297 residing in 17,715 households. The population of the city as per Swachh Survekshan (Country wide annual ranking mechanism for cities with respect to sanitation) conducted in 2019 is 1,17,001 corresponding to 23,401 households.1 This population is used for preparation of SFD. The urban local body governing the town is Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad (BNPP) or Bijnor Municipal Council. BNPP has an administrative area of 3.6 sq.km which is divided into 25 wards. The density of the city is 32,500 people per sq.km which is very high in comparison to state density of 828 people per sq.km.2Bijnor city is located 12 km west to the bank of River Ganga and 460 km from Lucknow, the state capital of Uttar Pradesh. Bijnor is the district headquarter of Bijnor district. As per Census 2011, Bijnor has a population of 93,297 residing in 17,715 households. The population of the city as per Swachh Survekshan (Country wide annual ranking mechanism for cities with respect to sanitation) conducted in 2019 is 1,17,001 corresponding to 23,401 households.1 This population is used for preparation of SFD. The urban local body governing the town is Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad (BNPP) or Bijnor Municipal Council. BNPP has an administrative area of 3.6 sq.km which is divided into 25 wards. The density of the city is 32,500 people per sq.km which is very high in comparison to state density of 828 people per sq.km.2

The geographical coordinates of Bijnor are 290 9’ 0” North and 780 16’ 0” East. The topography of Bijnor district is majorly plain. It is elevated 225 metres above sea level.3 The average rainfall is 999.4 mm. Temperature rises to 46°C and drops to 6°C. The soil type is clayey and sandy with occasional gravel and boulder.4 Table 1 shows the population growth in Bijnor in past two decades.

The majority of the population in Bijnor (97%) uses onsite sanitation systems. None of the residents are practicing open defecation. Only 41% of the excreta in Bijnor is safely managed, leaving 59% unsafely managed. This SFD Lite Report was prepared by CSE in 2020.

  • Prepared by: CSE
  • Date of production: 17/12/2020
  • Last update: 14/01/2021