Cap-Haïtien - Haiti

Reviewed SFD

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported

Cap-Haïtien is located in Haiti, in the Caribbean region. It is Haiti’s second largest city after its capital, Portau-Prince, with an estimated population of 404,766 in 2017 (IDB, 2017). The city of Cap-Haïtien is located within the commune of Cap-Haïtien, which is divided into three communal sections (sections communales), the smallest official administrative unit.

For the SFD graphic, two of the most populous of these three communal sections were used; they were then further disaggregated into three zones, each with three different types of housing. These definitions of the urban space were defined as part of a WASH household survey in 2017 that provides representative data for the SFD graphic.

It is estimated that 28% of the population lives in informal settlements located in flood plains and in hilly parts of the city. Population density ranges between 30,000 and 50,000 people/km2 in these areas.

Most of the population in Cap-Haïtien(89%) uses onsite sanitation systems. 11% of the residents are practicing open defecation. Only 6% of the excreta in Cap-Haïtien is safely managed, leaving 94% unsafely managed. This SFD Report was prepared by IDB in 2019.

  • Prepared by: IDB
  • Date of production: 28/04/2021
  • Last update: 29/04/2021