CC BY-SA 4.0
Chapai Nawabganj is a city and the district headquarters of Chapai Nawabganj District in the division of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. It is located in the north-western part of Bangladesh. Chapai Nawabganj is a fast-growing city, which is 297 km away from Dhaka, the capital of the country. It is beside the Mohananda River and it is well connected with roads and railways. It is one of the oldest towns in the sub-continent and was declared a municipality in 1903. It was promoted category ‘A’ municipality in 1985. Chapai Nawabganj is one of the 53 district-level municipalities in the country. The municipality consists of 15 wards and 70 mahallas.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Chapai Nawabganj city population was 180,731. The urban population growth in Chapai Nawabganj is 2% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2021) population is estimated to be around 237,589.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty-three percent (23%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy-seven (77%) percent is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (1%), Faecal Sludge (FS) emptied but not delivered to treatment (63%), FS not contained - not emptied (11%) and 2% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (23%).
- Prepared by: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
- Date of production: 20/01/2022
- Last update: 14/06/2022