CC BY-SA 4.0
Gaibandha is a municipality town and district headquarters of Gaibandha District in the division of Rangpur, Bangladesh. Gaibandha is a fast-growing city, which is 267.2 km north from the capital city, Dhaka. It is one of the oldest towns in the Indian sub-continent and was declared municipality (Paurashava) in 1923. It is beside the Ghaghot River, and it is well connected with road, water, and railways. Gaibandha is one of the 53 district-level municipalities in the country.
According to the population census in 2011 by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS), the Gaibandha Municipality population was 67,833. The urban population growth in Gaibandha is 1.18% per year. Considering 10% floating population, such as farmers and traders, comes to the city every day, the present (2021) population is estimated to be around 82,925.
The outcome of the SFD graphic shows that only twenty four percent (24%) of the excreta flow is classified as safely managed, and the remaining seventy-six (76%) percent is classified as unsafely managed. The unsafely managed excreta originate from wastewater not delivered to treatment (3%), Faecal Sludge (FS) emptied but not delivered to treatment (71%), FS not contained - not emptied (2%) and 1% of supernatant not delivered to treatment. The safely managed excreta originate from FS contained - not emptied (24%).
- Prepared by: CWIS-FSM Support Cell, DPHE
- Date of production: 31/01/2022
- Last update: 14/06/2022