Badimalika Municipality - Nepal

Reviewed SFD

(CC BY-SA 4.0)

Badimalika Municipality lies in Bajura District in Sudurpaschim Province, in the far west of Nepal. It was established in March 2017 and has a population of 17,227. 

Basic sanitation coverage in the municipality is 99%. The families without their own toilet (1% of the population) defecate in open places or used neighbour’s toilet. Onsite sanitation is used by 99%% of the population. Most households (43%) have connected their toilet to a single pit whereas twin pits are the least used containment system. There are no regular emptying practices -  only 22% of the containments have been emptied at least once, out of which 96% of the households did so manually. There is no faecal sludge treatment facility, all emptied faecal sludge is unsafely used on fields or dumped in open pits.

The SFD graphic shows that 44% of the faecal sludge generated is safely managed while the rest (56%) is unsafely managed. Most of the unsafely managed excreta are faecal sludge not emptied from unsafe systems (34%), and faecal sludge not delivered to treatment (20%). All of the safely managed excreta (44%) is from the population using onsite pits and tanks which have not yet been emptied. However, this is not a long-term solution and clearly highlights that improved sanitation management is required along the whole sanitation chain.

  • Prepared by: ENPHO
  • Date of production: 12/01/2023
  • Last update: 20/01/2023