Dipayal Silgadhi Municipality - Nepal

Reviewed SFD

CC BY-SA 4.0

Dipayal Silgadhi municipality is the district headquarters of Doti District in Sudurpashchim Province, in the far west of Nepal. It lies in the lesser Himalayas on the bank of Seti River and has a population of 32,941 (2017).

Basic sanitation coverage in the municipality is 98%. The families without their own toilets (2% of population) defecate in open places or use a neighbour’s toilet. Onsite sanitation is used by 96% of the population – most of whom use some form of lined pit or tank. And 2% of the population connect their toilet directly to an open drain or water body without any treatment. Emptying services are limited and there is no treatment plant for wastewater or faecal sludge.

The SFD graphic shows that 54% of the faecal sludge generated is safely managed while the rest (46%) is unsafely managed. Most of the unsafely managed excreta are faecal sludge not delivered to treatment (24%), and faecal sludge not emptied from unsafe systems (18%). All of the safely managed excreta (54%) is from the population using onsite pits and tanks which have not yet been emptied. However, this is not a long-term solution and clearly highlights that improved sanitation management is required along the whole sanitation chain. 

  • Prepared by: ENPHO
  • Date of production: 12/01/2023
  • Last update: 20/01/2023